How to commission a bronze
Almost all of my work is commissioned and I get a great deal of pleasure from bringing a clients idea from just that to a finished work of art that will last forever.
I can make sculpture to any size from small to monumental.
Whether the sculpture is to be a magnificent public monument or a private portrait, the process is pretty much the same. I give a great deal of consideration to design, location of the final bronze and client expectation as well as creating the individual beauty of the sculpture.
The procedure is:
- We discuss thoughts, ambitions and vision for the sculpture you would like
- Thorough research and development by me exploring many ideas and make sketches and maquettes for the sculpture
- We agree the design!
- I start the sculpture and send you stage photo’s so you can see the progress and ask for any changes you feel you may like.
- You approve the finished clay sculpture, then the foundry work starts to make your sculpture into bronze.
The timescale depends largely on the size and complication of the sculpture as does the price. Prices for bespoke work start at £2,500 and minimum time scale for a small bronze is around three months.
For Public works I take great care to plan:
- The audience and location – considering who will see the work and designing for the most advantageous visual impact within the planned site
- Consider lighting and scale, suggesting the best finish
- Technical issues – engineering considerations plus safety for site suitability with the design
- Time frame – making a logistics plan for timely delivery